Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RFC and silent discarding of e-mails

From: Luís Bruno <lbruno () republico estv ipv pt>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:46:30 +0000

Martin Mačok wrote:

SMTP servers should not silently discard the message

AIUI, your SMTP can deliver to /dev/null and return 250.

Actually, I'd rather have the antivirus software do that instead of sending a warning message to the envelope sender:

"Hi, this is the antivirus program at mail.example.com. We've detected a virus which forges envelope-senders in a message we received. We have no way of knowing if this message will reach the infected users' mailbox since the virus FORGES envelope-senders, but we've sent this advert^Wnotification to you anyway.

BTW, have you received notifications from other braindead antivirus software deployed all over the world? We hope you're not drowning in them. And try to keep your heart-rate down.

PS: Get more information about this product at http://www.antivirus.com.invalid/";

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html