Full Disclosure mailing list archives

SMTP authentication will save the world (was: EXE not recognized in passworded ZIP by Kaspersky)

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:30:32 +0100

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:37:49PM -0500, Larry Seltzer wrote:

As I've argued in another thread, I think SMTP authentication will
likely cut this stuff down to a trickle compared to the current
volume.

The SPAM problem is not an authentication problem. Even if you could
authenticate the identities - what would your "access list" look like
and how will it work?

Do you know that most of the SPAM alread goes from unsecured and owned
personal/home Windows XP machines? It is not a problem for spammers
(and or viruses) to steal a lot of identities from all around the
world.

Martin Mačok

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html