Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: A suggestion to all AV vendors...

From: bipin gautam <visitbipin () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:52:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Simon Conant <sconant () microsoft com> wrote:
I was talking about  most poor dialup users (not
pros.) for whome windows update is not an option or
don't have a clue about security patches. (I don't
know, what a average user knowledge in usa is but
THINK GLOBALLY!)

 And for the MSBA thing, If you use it in a hardened
OS with SCRIPTING and other lot of stuffz disabled it
doesn't function at all!!!

MSBA was intended to harden security!!! But if you
INSTALL it in a PROPERLY HARDENED OS, it doesn't
WORK!!! NEITHER THE CMD LINE, NOR THE GUI!?

regards,
bipin

Have you looked at MBSA?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

Also, http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

And don't forget, many viruses are NOT vuln-related
but rather user
(i.e. mass mailers requiring user action and no
vuln).