Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Student faces suit over key to CD locks

From: security () smharr4 dnsalias net
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:38:39 -0700

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Jonathan Grotegut wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but how is holding down the shift key
"distributing tools for breaking through digital piracy safeguards"?
Shouldn't the keyboard manufacturers be sued since they are the ones
that made the "shift" key and distributed it?

No, they shouldn't - the 'tool' in question isn't a physical item (like a
hammer or a keyboard), it's the procedure of holding down the shift key.

Distributing this idea is what SunnComm have issues with - although any
company worth their salt should not be relying on a 'feature' such as
autorun that Microsoft themselves publish methods for disabling through
TweakUI and careful editing of the registry.

I hope that this lawsuit gets thrown out at the first opportunity. And
then Sony/Phillips go after SunnComm for using the 'Compact Disc'
trademark erroneously.

--
Steven Harrison

F Invalid file name, 0:1