Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Student faces suit over key to CD locks

From: Nicola Fankhauser <nicola.fankhauser () variant ch>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:18:27 +0200

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 23:54, Richard M. Smith wrote:
http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5089168.html?tag=nefd_top

Student faces suit over key to CD locks

[snip]

In his paper, published on the Princeton Web site on Monday, the student
explained that the SunnComm technique relies on installing antipiracy
software directly from the protected CD itself. However, this can be
prevented by stopping Microsoft Windows' "auto-run" feature. That can be
done simply by pushing the Shift key as the CD loads.

Do not news.com.com, theregister.co.uk, full-disclosure,  Richard M.
Smith, me and everyone simply by citing these articles violate the DMCA?
Actually, I don't have to read the student's paper anymore to learn how
to "circumvent" SunnComm's audio CD protection - reading some news
report about the issue suffices.

So, everybody telling others how this protection can be "circumvented"
could theoretically be sued under US law.

Europe seemed to be safe against these perversions, but Germany has
recently adopted a DMCA-like law. In fact, every member of the EU will
have to adopt the European Union Copyright Directive [1]. However, these
things were not invented in Brussel, it is solely the adoption of the
WIPO Copyright Treaty from December 1996 [2,3].

regards
nicola

[1] http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/EUCD-Status
[2] http://www.eurorights.org/eudmca/index.html