Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Re: RE: Linux (in)security

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:51:49 -0500

I have never heard of a Linux vendor saying that Linux is
"secure out of the
box."

More than enough people assert that Linux is secure. Just
enter "Linux is
secure" in Google and you see what I mean:

http://www.linuxunlimited.com/why-linux.htm
``Properly configured and maintained, Linux is one of the
most secure operating
  systems available today.''
<snip>

The key words here are "properly configured".  One of the folowing links
talked about the model being based on UNIX, true but the implementation is
quite different.  Take FreeBSD 5.1, though more solid than any first release
of Linux, it is still referred to as a "New Technology Release" basically
synonymous with beta.  There "Production" release is 4.8 that I have on some
of our servers (not running a gui).  I have 5.1 as well as Linux on
workstations.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html