Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] Re: RE: Linux (in)security

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:52:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, William Warren wrote:

This is am IBM problem not a Redhat and/or Linux problem.

No, red-hat problem really.  IBM does the backend contract for support, be
the dist Suse or red-hat.  Red-hat holds the responsibility for
maintaining the RPM's.  Now, if the RPM's are not kept up to date, and
red-hat does not properly keep IBM clued as to how 'fresh' their RPM's
are, it falls into red-hats hands.  If Suse were to do the same <maybe
they do, maybe they are better prepared for their push into the IBM
mainframe world?> then they would be suffering the same problems to their
prospective customers as well.  Look at any of the past red-hat advisories
and  their corresponnding platforms and  fixup RPM's to address the
issues; note that the s390 platform is *not* represented.  This puts the
onus of determining how fit and up-to-date the red-hat RPM's are for this
platform soely upon the customer.  As I said, red-hat was unprepared  for
this push having devoted little if any resources to it's maintainance
schema.  Their  focus having been the  i386/ai64/ppc platforms.

Is this changing?  We'll see as they rollout red-hat's version 9.0 for the
s390 platform and how they commit to their backend support schema.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

Ron DuFresne wrote:
    [SNIP]

red-hat pushes out the product, which IBM is the back channel support for.
I ask in the very first meeting with the red-hat sales-lizard;  Umm, there
was a vuln released today that affects the kernel, I see red-hat addressed
this on the i386 and ia64 as well as the ppc platforms, has it been
addressed on the s390, or can you just plain tell me we are not vuln?  To
which the red-had-lizard was clueless to the whole concept.  And it took
4-5 months for IBM to get from red-hat their 'updates' page for s390 rmp's
all of which were older then known issues/exploits.  Turns out IBM claims
to have been unaware that even though red-hat is chanrging for the
platform enterprise release, They have not devoted any backend resources
to keeping it current.  Tells me that also, IBM could not have conducted
an audit on what is mont maintained, let alone what was released.

And points to the fact that even though it's possible to play linux on the
IBM platforms, it's not really ready for prime time.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

--
May God Bless you and everything you touch.

My "foundation" verse:
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.