Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Linux (in)security

From: Thomas Binder <full-disclosure () arago de>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:39:18 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:12:12AM -0500, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
Now, lest you get your hopes up and think it's possible to
change the world, read this:

http://www.ukauthority.com/articles/story898.asp

After reading this, I had a good cry and then took some aspirin.
:-(

Of course, what they do not (and most likely cannot) mention is
how many of the passwords entered where just random keystrokes
instead of a real world password.

In fact, I tend to advise people not to completely refuse giving
their password / PIN / etc. when asked for by someone, but to
reluctantly "disclose" something completely wrong. This way, the
attacker might think he's won and - depending on the attacked
system - effectively locks the account he wants to break into.

Ciao

Thomas

--
It is better to never have tried anything than to have tried something and
failed.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html