Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Linux (in)security

From: "Mr. Rufus Faloofus" <foofus () foofus net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:22:50 -0500

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:10:53PM -0400, Arcturus wrote:
[snip]
In lieu of securing the actual box, we put a firewall (running linux/unix)
in front of it.  Then, we use a simple approach of "that which is not
expressly allowed, is expressly denied" in our policies, and voila.
Secured.

It might be better to say "protected from attacks sourced
from the other side of the firewall and directed at ports
that we filter."

[snip]
Just for the record, this was written in Outlook, and sent out via a secured
system, that happens to run a Microsoft OS.

I'd never have guessed:
"It's not the OS, itÂ’s the operator"

--Foofus.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.