Full Disclosure mailing list archives

[Full-Disclosure] why commcerical software *could* be better [WAS: Re: Microsoft prepares security assault on Linux]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () egotistical reprehensible net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:33:11 -0800

I apologize if this somehow gets to the list twice, I accidentally posted it here with the wrong email address:

> IMHO the open source crowd fixes bugs a magnitude faster than the m$ lusers - check www.guninski.com, >there are dates on which vendors were notified. Check the unpatched exploder page to get an idea.

As much as generally and usually I'd vigorously agree with you, there is a lot to be said for:
1. A serious (note serious) commercial company that has a crew working
   on addressing security concerns, and updating the product.
2. A commercial company providing with liability (and responsibility)
   for the software you use (in other words - tech support and someone
   to blame).
3. No source (!!) available for people to examine, thus making it, to a
   level, harder to locate security "holes" - for outsides in any case.

I can come up with a few more.. but basically all I am saying is, support open source, don't condemn commercial software. There is a difference between the two ideologies, and one should follow/support
whichever suits him/her best. Constructive vs. destructive attitudes?

Don't allow bad examples to cloud your better judgment.
:o)
--
      Gadi Evron (i.e. ge),
      ge () linuxbox org.