Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft prepares security assault on Linux

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:03:31 -0800

IMHO the open source crowd fixes bugs a magnitude faster than the m$ lusers - check www.guninski.com,
>there are dates on which vendors were notified. Check the unpatched exploder page to get an idea.

As much as generally and usually I'd vigorously agree with you, there is a lot to be said for: 1. A serious (note serious) commercial company that has a crew working on addressing security concerns, and updating the product. 2. A commercial company providing with liability (and responsibility) for the software you use (in other words - someone to blame). 3. No source available for people to examine, thus making it, to a level, harder to locate security "holes" - for outsides in any case.

I can come up with a few more.. but basically all I am saying is, support open source, don't condemn commercial software. There is a difference between the two ideologies, and one should follow/support
whichever suits him/her best. Constructive vs. destructive attitudes? :o)
--
      Gadi Evron (i.e. ge),
      ge () linuxbox org.