Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: GUNINSKI THE SELF-PROMOTER

From: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:20:50 -0700

Last year, when Guninski discovered a security hole inside
Microsoft's
Office XP, he informed the company about his discovery, waited 14
days,
then published instructions on how it could be exploited.

Not enough time

Microsoft said that wasn't enough time to issue a patch. And,
frustrated
with the entire full-disclosure principle, it began using such
situations
to bolster arguments that the entire bug-reporting system needs an
overhaul

i think an email acknowledging the person would proaly keep most from
publishing, generally
that is where the frustration lies, not in a fast patch, but a simple
"thank you" or "could you help us"
"thank you, we will see to it we mention you for bringing this to our
attention"  ... its not like we want $1,000,000.
some of us compete in an employment market wrought with book educated
admins making 6 figure incomes, and
we are digging out thier mistakes. Just because someone don't look
good on resume doesnt mean they should not be
highly sought after. I personaly would be proud to have Mr Gudinski ,
or Mitnick and of the others
on my payroll anyday

Donnie Werner
http://nothackers.org/about.php