Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Cries Wolf ( again )

From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter () bank-connect com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:49:39 +0200

It would make more sense to research a bit more into why people do this, how they could be convinced to be more social, and most particularly, how the process of "decent" disclosure could be facilitated.

Research?  Please!?!?!?!  Subjects like this have been researched to
death.  It doesn't matter *why* people do it.  The fact is that they
*do* and they always will.  No amount of research, no laws, no cajoling,
no berating, no belittling is ever going to change human behavior.  Why
do you think the Serbs and Bosnians have been fighting each other since
the 14th century?  Because it makes sense?  Because it's the right thing
to do?  Because it's responsible?

No. The point is far simpler. If you encounter something you consider a problem, you take measures. One should research the effectiveness of those measures and possiblities to improve them together with the problem itself; one is meaningless without the other. It is my feeling that there is quite some space for improvement in the way "the industry" is trying to deal with the problem.

One quick word on your Bosnian example. On this globe there are areas of more and of less stability. These differences have a reason beyond simply the nature of the people that live there. Understanding is essential to the effectiveness of all parties trying to cope with those problem area's. Unfortunately this insight seems to be hampered by most helpers actually being part of the problem. What a nice example.

Then of course my initial Email did not declare uncontrolled immediate disclosure as the most elegant of things imaginable; nor did it state it was the most horrid thing I could think of. But you had no doubt intercepted that.

Peter

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html