Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The worm author finally revealed!

From: "David Howe" <DaveHowe () cmn sharp-uk co uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:14:40 -0000

at Friday, January 31, 2003 7:52 PM, madsaxon <madsaxon () direcway com>
was seen to say:
That happens where I work, too.  Every new patch breaks something
else, and since a fair amount of our software is custom-designed, we
have to get the vendors to rush out and figure out how to patch their
stuff to be compatible with the new patch.  That costs beaucoup
bucks, and meanwhile our clients are screaming because their
application is down.  The next time a patch comes out, management is
very reluctant to allow us to install it, so we have to do a
cost-benefit analysis on which would be the greater evil: leaving the
vulnerability unpatched or pissing off our clients with yet another
period of downtime.  If we don't patch, we get called "irresponsible"
and "lazy."
Certainly true. then you have the wonderful microsoft habit of a later
patch overwriting (and therefore silently backing out) an earlier
patch's files, and the fact that some sites *legally can't* install the
more recent service packs/patches as microsofts new licencing agreement
conflicts with a legal duty of privacy for the data processed on that
machine.

I personally argued strongly against Microsoft servers in the first
place, but of course that was pooh-poohed as just sour grapes from an
old Unix fossil.
Unfortunately, its a cascade - new features of IE require windows
servers, which require users to be using IE.....

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html