Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: Henrik Lund Kramshøj <hlk () kramse dk>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:08:12 +0100

On mandag, feb 3, 2003, at 12:23 Europe/Copenhagen, John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:

I've put a lot of time into researching further into what I already know
about TCP/IP connections, and this is what I've learned:

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535
(See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers)
A long term solution would be to separate port usage in IPv6, if this has not already been done. ie, to keep a range of numbers that are only ever used for connecting to external machines and the IPv6 stacks stick to this range. This will allow for better filtering by ISPs too, although someone will probably still find a way of getting worms onto this range. It is sadly
too late now to fix the large number of "broken" IPv4 stacks.

IMHO this "long term solution" is in NO WAY a solution at all, and might
hinder future communication if adopted!

Making "some ports" more special than others depending on arbitrary
ranges will not help security.

The "transport" networks, and certainly the core Internet should not put
restrictions on the port ranges that are "acceptable"
(YES I recommend end-user-networks, inside a company be seperated
and filtered from the outside Internet and also from the inside to the outside)

If you like you can avoid the use of IPv6 global-unicast addresses on your hosts if you dont want them to connect to the Internet (or only connect using your
webproxies etc.)

It is hard to predict the future, but blocking certain ports in general will
be a bad thing, and your suggestion is IMHO letting politics decide the
future use of TCP/IP.

Best regards
--
Henrik Lund Kramshøj