IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Seth Hall <hall.692 () osu edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:39:23 -0400

On Mar 17, 2009, at 5:43 PM, Damiano Bolzoni wrote:
(N times the same byte value, and each request a different byte)

On Mar 18, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
I don't know if any IDS could do this. You'd have to capture the value of Content-Length, insert that value into a variable, then compare that variable against the number of bytes of a single value, all while examining the same packet.

alert tcp any any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "Web attack - overflow attempt"; flow: to_server, established; content:"POST /"; http-method; content:"Content-Length3A"; nocase; depth:1; content:"This is where you would have to capture the value of Content-Length"; urilen:"value of Content-Length"; pcre:"/\w/"; classtype:web-application-attack; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

It would actually be easy to identify with Bro. The problem with your signature below is that it doesn't take into account the same byte value being repeated for the total Content-Length. It's a little more hacky to make Bro identify the repeating character, but still possible. You're also ignoring the bounds Damiano placed on the value of the Content-Length header. If I have some time tonight, I'll write a script to detect this situation and post it to the list.

  .Seth

---
Seth Hall
Network Security - Office of the CIO