IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Damiano Bolzoni <damiano.bolzoni () utwente nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:14:22 +0100

On 19/03/2009 19.47, Stefano Zanero wrote:

I just didn't agree on the specific example raised by Damiano, as I
don't see it happening anywhere in a real attack.

Stuart, Stefano, the example is real :)
Once I obfuscate some details, I can provide you the traces. We have been also trying to understand why somebody would do such a stupid "attack" (as also Stefano pointed out, it's only to consume resources, whatever they are). As I said, few requests per second do no affect the web server performance, but looking at the number of hosts involved, it's clear the attacker can easily raise the bar.

--
Damiano Bolzoni

damiano.bolzoni () utwente nl
Homepage http://dies.ewi.utwente.nl/~bolzonid/
PGP public key http://dies.ewi.utwente.nl/~bolzonid/public_key.asc
Skype ID: damiano.bolzoni () utwente nl

Distributed and Embedded Security Group - University of Twente
P.O. Box 217 7500AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Phone +31 53 4892477
Mobile +31 629 008724
ZILVERLING building, room 3013