IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection Evaluation Datasets

From: Paul Palmer <paul_palmer () us ibm com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:52:20 -0400

again.  So the main nuisances on the wire keep changing, and any
dataset
is necessarily going to get stale very quickly.

Very true, and so if any dataset is needed this has to be kept in
mind.

An anonymous reviewer on one of my papers made the following
observation, which I've taken to heart: The IDS community doesn't need
another static dataset, we need a way to periodically create good
datasets. Much in the way that the KDD community puts out a dataset
for their annual KDD Cup challenge, we should be able to generate a
dataset -- say every year -- representative of both the threats and
background traffic at that time. I rather fancy the idea of letting
all the NIDS researchers have at it and presenting an award for the
best performance at RAID.

Cheers,
Terry

Isn't this essentially one of the things that NSS does as part of their
product reviews?

Granted, getting your product reviewed is not free, but I think you would
find that it is probably cheaper to have NSS perform the evaluation than
investing in the infrastructure to do it yourself.