IDS mailing list archives

Re: To test IPS/IDS box.

From: "Aaron Turner" <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:16:15 -0700

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Paari <paarim () calsoftlabs com> wrote:

 Hi Guys,

   Thank you so much, for all your replies. But there is some misconception
 from my query. I actually meant how to test the IPS hardware box, like
 testing the processor and the sensing ports and how to melt down the IPS
 hardware box. Basically the general guide line for testing the IPS/IDS
 hardware box. Do we need any specific tools for this?

   Iam sorry for not making to the point in my pervious post.

Since different IPS's use different hardware, your tests will need to
be specific to your hardware.   Honestly, I have no idea what the
goals, intent or value of testing in the manner you suggest, so I
can't really contribute other then say, if you want to melt down the
box, you'll need a significant heat source.  Most home
improvement/hardware stores sell blow torches which would be a good
starting point.

While you're at it, I'd also suggest testing the box's resistance to
gunfire.   You can start with .22LR and move up from there.  Depending
on your expected adversary you can use standard NATO calibers or
whatever makes sense.   Fun and educational!

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.