IDS mailing list archives

Re: To test IPS/IDS box.

From: Leon Ward <seclists () rm-rf co uk>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:17:42 +0100

Hi.

Comments _inline

On 5 May 2008, at 20:28, Joshua Gimer wrote:

There are several tools that you can use to aid in testing.
I would use some automated scanning tools first such as Nessus; this will show you how much information can be gathered about a remote system.

If an IPS was to *block* all traffic that would allow remote device enumeration, it would break the network. Sure, some specific enumeration attempts can prevented but these would have to be looked at on a case by case basis. As a rule, Nessus, and its closed source VA alternatives are not normally useful for testing IPS.

Metasploit can also be of use in this situation. I would suggest looking into the ips_filter.rb plugin. You can also check some conference archives, and SANS reading room for more ideas, and techniques.

Yes, Metasploit is one good tool for your (and everyones) kit-bag, but it doesn't provide the reproducibility for a real good test. Even though you can run the same exploit/payload/options over and over again inside Metasploit, the target device may change state.

I would recommend taking a set of pcaps *you* create that *you want* your IPS to block (Maybe using metasploit or other tool of choice). You can then replay these over and over again to re-create the same test environment. The same rule applies for clean traffic. Once you have this clean/dirty baseline you can introduce tuning and even different devices for coparisron.

This then leaves the qualitative testing of what device can be managed best, used for event analysis best, produces the most meaningful reports etc etc

Regards

-Leon

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-media-archives/bh-multimedia-archives-index.html

I know that there was a presentation that was done in 2006 about, ids and ips evasion. I am sure that there are ton's of others.

Joshua Gimer