IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS

From: "Biswas, Proneet" <pbiswas () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:21:37 -0700

Hi Gopi,
        There are two approaches to this problem. One way is to go with the Cisco Access Control Solution which would
require any machine coming alive on the network to go through a compliance check on things like Anti-Virus,Patches etc.
and if the machine is not compliant, then it would have a restricted network behavior.
The other way is to go with Active/Passive Vulnerability scanners. These products scan the machine for patch levels and
vulnerabilities and generate detailed reports. Number of products out there from companies like tenable,Eeye and some
also in the service model like Qualys. However, in this case you would need to hook up the product with a patch
management solution to automate the whole process or individually go and install patches.

Thanks
Proneet.