IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:37:28 -0500

I was actually referring to signature exploits. I am aware that there were documented vulnerabilities in NFR's old R&D versions. Once NFR went to it's appliance version of the product and closed everything but the signatures (and this entire thread has been surrounding open vs closed signatures I believe) we have not had a vulnerability in our signature set. However, technically, you are 100% correct, so I apologize for what may have been a misleading statement.
sorry about the mis-statement...

-dave

Thomas H.Ptacek wrote:

It's not true that NFR has never had a remote exploit.

I may be mis-reading the statement, but I discovered and published an advisory for a remote root vulnerability in NFR back when I worked at Network Associates.