IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:25:38 -0500

Martin Roesch wrote:

A few comments:

1) Open "signatures" are about trust, if people have no idea why or how and IDS is doing what it's doing then when the false positives inevitably pop up the user has absolutely no clue what has happened. I find that to be one of the most annoying things about using other people's IDS technologies, their opaqueness drives a constant nagging doubt that the system is configured and working properly. IMO that's one of the reasons that Snort is as popular as it is, people know how and why it does what it does (for better or worse) and the transparency allows them a certain level of comfort that they're in control of and can trust the system instead of the other way around.

Actually Marty, I think the reason Snort is so popular is because it's freely available, not becuase your signatures are open. I can tell you that NFR does not have nearly the userbase that Snort has, and yet, our signatures are openly readable... The difference? NFR is not a free product. Back in pre-2000, when NFR had the research and development version of the product available for free, we had a ton of downloads of the free product. It had nothing to do with the open signature language we use... it was simply the fact that it was free.
2) If a "signature" is written properly then evading it will be non-trivial. This all falls into the "writing the signature for the vulnerability instead of the exploit" thing that we argue about around here from time to time. I don't think knowing what someone is looking for does a whole lot if there's no way to avoid tripping it in the course of an exploit.

3) Snort has had 2 remote exploits (buffer overflow and integer overflow leading to heap overflow on certain platforms) and a 2-3 DoSes due to protocol handler mistakes in 6.5 years. ISS has had at least that many over the years and a resultant worm to boot. Did being closed really help them all that much? I think that developing in the open forces us to be a little more careful than we might otherwise be, but I think that over time being open leads to a more secure codebase due to the exposure to the "elements" that it entails.

I agree with your comments about writing good signatures. We released a whitepaper a couple of years back in an effort to teach people how to write good signatures using the NFR product, and even though we've had our signatures openly readable since day 1, we've never had a remote exploit. (well okay, we didn't actually have signatures on day 1, but you know what i mean. ;) )

Anyway, just my $0.02, hope it was interesting.

     -Marty