IDS mailing list archives

Re: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan () yorku ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:20:38 -0400 (EDT)

HI,

We continually keep our NIDS and NIPS tuned, adding new rules, removing
bad ones (false positives or just too heavy to run), etc.  I don't quite
see how one can do otherwise.  I just don't see how anyone can consider
either a Plug 'n Play solution.  In fact it would become a Plug 'n Pray
solution.

Ramon Kagan, GCIA
York University, Computing and Network Services
Information Security  -  Senior Information Security Analyst
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan () yorku ca

I have not failed.  I have just        I don't know the secret to success,
found 10,000 ways that don't work.     but the secret to failure is
                                       trying to please everybody.
        - Thomas Edison                         - Bill Cosby