IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS evaluations procedures

From: "Nathan Davidson" <ndavidso () globix com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:49:22 -0400

If by "real" you mean standard Internet noise (port scans etc) then I
would say very approximately 6 events per minute, based on what I see on
our many Internet firewalls. This is of course a function of the size of
the IP subnet on that link. E.g. a class C gets a lot less malicious
packets than a class B because it has 1/255th of the IPs. Also if the
subnet contains say amazon.com it is going to be much more attractive
and therefore you will see many more probes.

Without knowing how much legitimate bandwidth you are sending I couldn't
say what the ratio is. But for a typical website with 10Mb/s of
legitimate traffic it is a fraction of a %

I guess you need to think about the maximum performance of your solution
and therefore you should err on the side of caution and go for a heavy
amount of attack traffic e.g. 5% or more.