IDS mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)

From: Fergus Brooks <fergwa () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:21:41 +0800

Agreed on all the above points. Without going too far off topic, this
leads me to another area that has been troubling me. One of the key
aims of security vendors over the last few years has been minimising
the importance of security experts (i.e. experienced human beings) in
the process of attack mitigation, remediation and defence.

I think this has a lot to do with the complexity of selling services
and would be interested in hearing from people out there who have had
success in the managed IDS space.

One of the reasons that the reputation of IDS suffered (and maybe why
S&M (sales & marketing) had to pep things up with the P) is because
IDS was delivered to enterprises as a box-drop with no real bedding-in
and tuning and have therefore generated too many false
positives/negatives & noise. So what has happened is that the less
consultative companies out there have minimised the perceived value of
what Richard accurately describes as "an important part of the
security arsenal."

We have been offering expert network intelligence services (similar to
managed NIDS services, but not restricted to security) for about 9
months now and are constantly having to convince people that being
able to speak to an expert is infinitely better than trusting a
machine. My point is that S&M are doing their best to minimise
perception of the value of the talented and dedicated people who
continue to improve detection and mitigation capabilities.

It makes me wonder when I see so many IDS systems out there that have
cost a lot of money mindlessly shooting alerts off to an email account
that nobody ever reads. Or just as bad, shooting them off to a
log/event outsourcer whose tech staff have never even met the client
so have no idea of their policies, environment or concerns.

I suggest we drop IPS from the nomenclature. And let's encourage the
consultative approach...