IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS evaluations procedures

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:00:04 -0400

Tim, I hate to stir up this whole can of worms (pun alert) and yes I know
this is off topic but can you please qualify this seemingly non sequitur
statement?

"All IDS devices are subject to large numbers of false positives, which is
why if you're making a new investment you should consider IPS technology, as
this gives you a far lower TCO and real-world protection against zero-day
threats."

How so?

I really struggle with this whole "because it's inline it must be more
accurate" thing. Sure, if I turn off a bunch of sigs on the IPS that are
less reliable, accuracy will increase. But why not do the same thing on the
non-inline IDS?

Is there something magical about being inline that makes the system less
prone to false positives? If so, what?

----------

David, addressing your original question... (which, incidentally, was about
INTERNAL attack traffic, not Internet Storm Center quality stuff that's
randomly hitting the outside of your firewall), we'll need a few extra data
points.

1. What are you testing for? Traffic-based anomalies? Application level RFC
violations and anomalies? Relational-modeling anomalies?
Behavioral-anomalies?

2. What collection mechanism is employed? NetFlow? sFlow? Ethernet Frames?
Other?

3. Are you only interested in classic "attacks" (fire up Nessus, see what
happens) or other anomalies such as malfunctioning applications,
policy-driven anomalies, etc?