IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort

From: Graeme Connell <gconnell () middlebury edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:04:24 -0400

Jeremy,
You've just encountered one of the largest and most difficult problems in the IDS industry today: How to deal with the information you receive. There are numerous projects designed to present data stored by Snort in a more comprehensive way. You can check out the following projects:

      ACID:  http://acidlab.sourceforge.net/
SnortSnarf: http://www.snort.org/dl/contrib/data_analysis/snortsnarf/
      Sguil:  http://sguil.sourceforge.net/

All are available for free, and all attempt to parse the data received from Snort in a way that's managable. Eliminating false positives is, I'm afraid, an unattainable goal. You can try to remove the most common ones you receive by modifying the rules that snort uses, but remember that this will increase the possibility of false negatives, or attacks that go unnoticed. I'd check out the projects above before attempting to modify the rule files for Snort, and if you still have problems, consider that as a second option.

      --Graeme Connell

Jeremy Gonzales wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with snort reports? How do
you deal with the loads of information? Is there a way
to  generate reports that eliminate the false
positives? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.