IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:24:03 +1300

"Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk> writes:

--On 30 September 2004 20:35 -0400 Martin Roesch
<roesch () sourcefire com> wrote:

Just one note from me.  If you're going to only pay attention to
priority 1 events then you need to tune the priorities on your rules  for
your environment.

Quite correct, Marty (unsurprisingly!). Incidentally, by 'report on '
I was meaning 'send email about' or similar. It's good practice, IMHO,
to log *everything* (albeit thresholded, maybe) for later analysis of
events.

Absolutely. That nessus scan today might turn into a full-blown attack
tomorrow and it's nice to be able to correlate all the activity from a
particular IP address/range.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.