IDS mailing list archives

RE: Usefulness of Network Intrusion Detection Systems

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:55:43 -0400

Comments inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas [mailto:TheTom () UnixIsNot4Dummies ORG]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 3:24 AM
To: focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Usefulness of Network Intrusion Detection Systems

Additionally companies do not care much about switches,
routers or
web-servers. Sure they got bad PR if it is compromised or
turned off
but there is no direct lost of money connected with it.

Apart from n hours of my time investigating and fixing the problem,
usually at overtime rates? Potential compromise of
confidential data?
The cost of having staff sitting around while critical servers are
down?

No problem, the staff is already there and paid. :)

Yeah, but what about the cost of replacing them when they quit, because
they're constantly working overtime without being compensated for it?
Thinking they'll be indifferent about it is a rather pointy-haired attitude,
I feel.  And that's the security/IT staff; what about the rest of the
company, sitting idle and unproductive while being paid?

The IDS I run is an integral part of the detection and response to
network threats. Of course I do as much as I can about
prevention, but
on a large network where everyone wants to be relatively free, you
will have compromises and attempted attacks; especially from worms
such as Blaster, Welchia, Sasser and Slammer.

You talk about "attempted attacks". Information about several
hundered unsuccessful attacks from a worm is no information
just noise.

What if it's a worm-infected host on your network?  At that point, even if
every other single machine (I'm thinking Sasser here) is patched, the
attacks are unsuccessful, but it sure would be nice to be able to detect,
identify and find the system in question.  For us, IDS was hugely helpful in
cleaning up, and in determining how Sasser got onto our back network to
begin with.

The IDS helped us avoid any network downtime due to Sasser
and if the
network is down, the cost of having staff sitting idle
mounts up very
quickly indeed.

It does take a lot of work to manage, but IMHO it's a lot
better than
having no idea what's going on in your network.

Yes, that is right. And I see the value of network based IDS.
I don't say they are not useful but there use should be
limited to an area they belong to. The network, not the
applications nor the operating system in general.