IDS mailing list archives

Usefulness of Network Intrusion Detection Systems

From: Thomas <TheTom () UnixIsNot4Dummies ORG>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:20:57 +0200

Hello everybody,
I write this eMail to receive more valuable response
about this issue. It is not meant as offense or as an act
of arrogance.

I recently had a discussion about the usefullness of
network-based IDSs.
In my opinion there is too much valueable effort wasted
in developing engines to keep track of network-traffic
collected via sniffing sensors for intrusion detection.

Network-based IDSs should be limited to attacks on the
network layer not the application layer.
IP spoofing, ARP cache poisoning and similiar attacks
can only be detected by NIDSs but parsing and keeping
track of application data sent over the network as well
as the current execution path state of an application
is too complex and too error prone (often proofed in the
past).
Maybe people are just doing it for fun or to suffice the
marketing hype... I do not know.

This behaviour is similiar to a hostbased IDS that tries
to monitor SQL transactions by analyzing arguments to
syscalls like read() and write().
Looking at a system like this should just force one reaction
from an educated person: "What is this stupid thing doing?
It operates on a different layer not on the the more abstract
application layer."
Yes, developing such a system proofs the misguided mind of
a developer.
What does the HIDS know about roles in an SQL environment,
what about transaction ACLs, what about table contents?

One argument I got was: "Having *one* NIDS at the right place
helps to stop intrusions over the network. The admin doesn't
need to update all machines constantly. If an attack is
detected the IP will be blocked."

Beside the fact that IP addresses can be spoofed and that the
admin has to update the signature database too, the shellcode
of "rm -rf / &" (or whatever) is still running even if the
suspicious connection was interrupted.

So why not develop an easy to use online update service that
works on the various Linux distributions as well as on other
Unices or even Windows system?
This update service can monitor the updates sites of the vendors
regulary and may be controlled centrally. So, there is not much
more work then administrating an node-based or sniffer-based NIDS.
And now the network is even more secure!

Sure everyone can do what s/he likes to do in his/her spare-time
but sometime it looks like uncontrolled activism. :)

To avoid misunderstanding, I see the usefullness of NIDS in
protecting network components or to detect attacks on the
network layer, even for reasons of eForensic it is useful
(s. compromises of Debian(???) servers),
but everything else looks like a waste of time for me.

Additionally companies do not care much about switches, routers
or web-servers. Sure they got bad PR if it is compromised or
turned off but there is no direct lost of money connected with it.
The direkt value lies in the data, plaintext emails on hard disks,
protocols about conference calls with co-companies, transactions
to suppliers, and so on.

Your comments are welcome!

Bye,
Thomas