IDS mailing list archives

Re: Usefulness of Network Intrusion Detection Systems

From: Thomas <TheTom () UnixIsNot4Dummies ORG>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:23:45 +0200

Additionally companies do not care much about switches, routers
or web-servers. Sure they got bad PR if it is compromised or
turned off but there is no direct lost of money connected with it.

Apart from n hours of my time investigating and fixing the problem,
usually at overtime rates? Potential compromise of confidential data?
The cost of having staff sitting around while critical servers are
down?

No problem, the staff is already there and paid. :)

The IDS I run is an integral part of the detection and response to
network threats. Of course I do as much as I can about prevention, but
on a large network where everyone wants to be relatively free, you
will have compromises and attempted attacks; especially from worms
such as Blaster, Welchia, Sasser and Slammer.

You talk about "attempted attacks". Information about several hundered
unsuccessful attacks from a worm is no information just noise.

The IDS helped us avoid any network downtime due to Sasser and if the
network is down, the cost of having staff sitting idle mounts up very
quickly indeed.

It does take a lot of work to manage, but IMHO it's a lot better than
having no idea what's going on in your network.

Yes, that is right. And I see the value of network based IDS.
I don't say they are not useful but there use should be limited
to an area they belong to. The network, not the applications nor
the operating system in general.

Greeting,
Thomas