IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS/IPS Signatures

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:21:04 -0400

Anyone testing an IPS should attempt to use the denial of
service features in Nessus and NeWT to see what is in fact
being prevented. Nessus and NeWT contain a wide variety of
DOS checks which perform fairly invasive tests.

Nessus and NeWT also have a variety of anti-NIDS evasion
features built in. For example, you can perform a variety of
web vulnerability scans, and have them use URL encoding,
TCP desynchronized packets and fragmentation. Although using
a vulnerability scanner to test a NIDS is an imperfect test,
comparing what a NIDS picks up when evasion is and isn't used
during a scan is extremely enlightening.

Most people know that Nessus can be obtained from
www.nessus.org but they may not know that NeWT is also available
as a complimentary download from www.tenablesecurity.com.
NeWT is available for Windows XP/2000 and can scan any machine
on the local "Class C" network. It performs the same security
checks as Nessus, but has it's own interface, reporting and
usability features. NeWT Pro is the commercial variant which
has no local "Class C" scan limitation. If you have an IDS or
IPS in a lab or on a small DMZ, you can use NeWT to launch
your tests from any available Windows laptop or server.

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security
http://www.tenablesecurity.com