IDS mailing list archives

RE: Testimonials on IDS

From: "Ross, George" <george.ross () atlahq org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:58:36 -0400

I wanted to get on my soap box for this one Willie but long story short.
Shame on you.  I go through the same thing with my employees, asking
them to justify and they rarely can.  We can offer suggestions here
about what you should tell them but based on your environment you should
be able to tell what benefits is brought to your company up to this
point.  Not only that it depends on how your IDS has been implemented
(we don't get the benefit on the comment below because of our firewall
structure) and which IDS you have.

With that said, a major justification for your company may be worms,
trojans and other code pass through packets that a normal virus
detection software could not catch either because it is waiting for a
signature file update or it just doesn't look for SQL slammer, etc. type
worms.  Remember to focus on tiered structure when speaking with
management about these issue, IDS is a first line defense, next is the
firewall, etc, etc.