IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testimonials on IDS

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:53:38 +0530

On 08/06/04 10:58 -0400, Ross, George wrote:
I wanted to get on my soap box for this one Willie but long story short.
Shame on you.  I go through the same thing with my employees, asking
them to justify and they rarely can.  We can offer suggestions here
Management often requires external testimonials. Haven't we all heard of
IT staff recommending good solutions, but management wants an external
consultant to tell them the same thing?
This is not necessarily an issue solvable by the internal IT/Security
department, which is as often as not deployed for being cheap desktop
support.
<snip>
worms.  Remember to focus on tiered structure when speaking with
management about these issue, IDS is a first line defense, next is the
firewall, etc, etc.
IDS is a part of your defense systems, but it is not an active layer
like a firewall. Its part of your monitoring system.

If I may draw an analogy, one easy justification would be the same
reason why we have closed and locked doors and a human being outside the
door providing security to the lock.

Devdas Bhagat