IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Opinions

From: <mills () findmypants com>
Date: 2 Jun 2004 17:05:41 -0000

Symantecs engine is fast and can run quite a few sensors from small hardware. The
interface is a bit clunky and not as slick as say SiteProtector from ISS but it
gets the job done. They've rolled support for signature based detection in as
well now making it a pretty good offering. If your scanning a lot of networks
then it's worth a punt. They've also got an appliance coming out soon based on
the SGS hardware.

Snort is excellent but harsh to the beginner - hence the sourcefire
implimentation. Coming on leaps and bounds. Well worth a look and there is plenty
of resource on the Interweb thingy to get you started.

Dragon - Not touched it :-(

ISS Proventia - Just finished playing with the in-line IPS product, solid and
good but low port density currently. New version coming out that monitors 4
networks in-line bridged soon. Comes with the fail-open cards as well which makes
it a bit less of a nightmare if it goes down and severs your network at layer 1.

The Netscreen is apparently not the greatest but again not had time to play with it.

Have a look at a report done by NSS at http://www.nss.co.uk/ they tested all the
mentioned IDS systems. Pretty detailed as well as being very well written.

Regards

Mills

Tarek Amr Abdullah wrote:

Crayola,

I recommend either ISS Proventia or Juniper NetScreen IDP. As I am not
with deploying IDSs unless they are high quality and reliable. Otherwise
if you choosed "Sourcefire's, Dragon (Enterasys), and Symantec's
manhunt." For financial reasons. Then I think you may deploy Snort
instead as it is open source, and also sourcefire is built upon snort.

Best Regards,
Tarek Amr Abdallah