IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Opinions

From: manish <mawasthi () hclinsys com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:05:07 +0530

Dear All,

I will strongly recommend to keep in view what you are looking for and
what is the throughput requirement for the IDS. If you are looking for
the basic 10/100 Mbps then the option can be follows : -

Cisco
Enterasys Dragon
CA
Manhunt
Snort
tipping point
Realsecure.

If you are looking for High end stuff say in Gbps range you have to
consider the following options: -
Netscreen
ISS Proventia
Macfee's Intrushield
Manhunt
Cisco ( only till 1 Gbps)
Stonegte

If you are looking for a small business environment with not many users
( 200-500) and looking for cheaper, stable product with more many
options then the best fit will be Snort or CA. Snort is a freeware with
ability to perform signature based and contact based intrusion
detection. can work in inline or stealth mode. Can integrate with any
firewall you can think of. Works on Linux machine. Doen not require high
memory or CPU. Can perform wide range of responces. But U need little
expertise on Linux for that.
CA is Windows based IDS and has integrated Antivirus, URL Filter, and
Content Inspection which are addons to the product. Highly user friendly
and provide wide range of options. Problem is a little costl;y and works
in low range loads only and requires high CPU and memory.

Manish Awasthi
Network Security Consultant
HCL Infosystems Ltd.

Hi to all of you!
I've tried CA-IDS: http://www.ca.com/
Very nice tool with a lot of gadgets BUT:
Still expensive for some companies (license based on the connections),
Needs a lot of power (CPU+RAM) to take advantage of all the functions...
I recommend you to download the trial and test it yourself... and PLS, share
your opinion after that.

Best Regards,
Danislav Kostov