IDS mailing list archives

RE: Symantec Manhunt

From: "Hernansanz, Daniel" <dhernansanz () alava net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:50:47 +0100

The company I work for is looking into Symantec Manhunt IDS.  As part
of my
research I was hoping anyone in this list familiar with this product
could
give me some of the positive and negatives of this IDS.

IMHO...

Man Hunt positives
==================
 - Hibryd detection: signature analysis + anomaly analysis
 - Centralized admin, with *correlation* capabilities
 - Third party event analysis and correlation (Checkpoint, Snort, ISS,
Tripwire...)
 - ManHunt: SW-NIDS (unix platform) and HW-NIDS (iForce appliance)
 - High availibility (HA) support
 - Reporting capabilities

Man Hunt negatives
 - Licen$e (ok, cheaper than ISS and Enterasys, but...)
 - Symantec's portfolio is a mess, illogical:
        * 2x N-IDS: ManHunt, Decoy Server
        * 2x H-IDS: Intruder Alert, HostIDS
        * 2x VA: NetRecon, Vulnerability Assessment
        * Old stuff: NetProwler, ManTrap
   How will it be reorganized? Will Symantec continue with ManHunt?

I hope this helps.