IDS mailing list archives

RE: Symantec Manhunt

From: simonis () att net
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:01:50 +0000

(What does get a bit blurry is the difference between ESM and VA, since VA
seems to be little more than ESM from a "vulenrability enumeration" point
of view. If I were a Symantec employee, I would hurt a product manager or

This is a bit misleading, as I understand it.  SVA is more of a hybrid
scanner than a host scanner.  It is agent based, which can cause some
confusion, but it is still a network scanner.  It is the replacement to
netrecon.

ESM will eventually become something like Symantec Policy Manager, and is not
at all interested in vulnerabilities, per se, (nor has it ever been) but is
instead a way for an enterprise to check security policy compliance, inasmuch
as that can be checked via technical controlls.  Compare this to something
like some of Bindview's offerings in nature.

-ds