IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network IDS

From: Andreas Krennmair <netnews () synflood at>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:58:58 +0200

* Zach Forsyth <Zach.Forsyth () kiandra com> [gmane.comp.security.ids]:
 How do we classify a NID that can automatically adjust firewall rules to
 enable shunning etc?
 Cisco IDS devices spring to mind...

Uh, don't do that, IP addresses can be spoofed, and DoS can be done via
such automatisms (e.g. fake a DNS request's source IP, containing some
BIND exploit, and let the source IP be a host (or a number of hosts) you
don't want to get replies for their DNS requests anymore).

 Although technically correct, I think it is a bit petty to state that
 IDS does not help to "protect" your network/systems.

It may help protect your system, but it cannot protect your system. Yes,
as mentioned before, that's also a semantical issue. ;-)