IDS mailing list archives

RE: Network IDS

From: "Fergus Brooks" <fergusb () evolve-online com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:04:04 +0800

Big brother is watching so I'll be careful.

I have had a fair amount of exposure to the Symantec Gateway Security
boxes and can offer a few comments.

The SGS is a combination of Raptor firewall (Symantec Enterprise
Firewall), gateway AV scanner and signature-based Network IDS with some
content filtering as well.

It runs on hardened Linux but is sold as an appliance - there is a VT100
terminal as part of the console and though you shouldn't have to access
that - however advanced troubleshooting may require access to the
operating system.

Unfortunately I have found the IDS to be fairly token. I believe there
are only around 1000 sigs and the updates are not that frequent. It is
certainly not in the league of Symantec's own enterprise NIDS Manhunt.
It really is a value add to the Raptor firewall, which is an excellent
application-layer firewall and also the Norton gateway AV is top notch.

I do think it is a great solution for smaller size businesses - it is
certainly very easy to manage and configure. I have heard there are some
enterprise-capable boxes on the way. They also ship with Rainwall
clustering/HA (at an extra cost of course!) so they can scale etc.

So in summary if you are *only looking for an IDS* then the SGS is not
for you. It is a good all-in-one solution. I don't know too much about
Windows IDS systems so I'll leave the recommendations to others on this
list.

Rgds...