Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Question]

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 16:48:23 -0500

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Chris Blask <chris () blask org> wrote:

A lot of it doesn't require us to actually show up and write a thesis to fix, that's for sure.  But the real answer
for Olaf is twofold, sure, part one is a knee-slapper but part two is a chin-scratcher:

1/  They shouldn't be but someone screwed up.

and/or

2/  If it's not a screwup (HMI with a live modem, etc...) then it may be that the control system network is connected
to the corporate network, and that one is connected to the Internet.  Even where this is absolutely necessary for
business purposes, and has been implemented at least reasonably well, it is at best a struggle between those who want
to protect and those who want to disrupt.  Frankly, many of these sites have not put enough effort into security to
compensate for their busines needs for external connectivity.

It's not as simple as saying "they shouldn't be connected to anything".  Beyond nuke generation (which is very much
not connected to anything) you have hundreds of thousands of control system networks in the country and running each
of these in air-gap isolation is not something that has been economically viable.   The number of sites that can be
completely isolated will always be a minority, the rest we will need to do better with.

-chris

I don't know how many of you have worked with process and control
networks, let alone SCADA networks at a power producer. I do know that
I have. In both cases there is generally only ONE need for the two
networks to ever touch physically or logically - data logging reports.
This should always be done with the data logger placed into a DMZ. The
DMZ should not allow anything from the A network into the B network or
vice versa. No connections should originate from the DMZ. This has
been done and works well. Often you don't even run anti-virus on the
process control or SCADA networks as there's VIRTUALLY no way for them
to get a virus.

Frankly, if you're told there's a business "need" for access to the
process network call BS on who ever is saying it. I've done that in my
current position three times. The plant managers just can't understand
how it can be so expensive for them to watch operations from their
homes because, "the last place I worked the just used that program
called PCAnywhere...."!!