Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dark Reading: Firewalls Ready for Evolutionary Shift

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:09:35 -0500

George Capehart wrote:
Some light reading for the weekend . . .  Thought it'd stir the pot a
bit more for the "Firewalls that generate new packets . . ." thread.  ;>

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=140121&f_src=drweekly

George, since when does "stirring the pot" consist of kicking a tiger
in the b*lls?? Because that was my immediate reaction on reading
that article!!! I started prowling my cage looking for something to
chomp!

"Next Generation firewalls"? Gosh, oh, golly - it sounds like what
they're calling "Next Generation firewalls" are kinda sorta like
"what firewalls were supposed to do all along."

I notice that Nir Zuk is a primary source for this article, as well.
It sounds like some P.R. agency has done a good job pimping*
a certain start-up that is getting ready to "ramp"** a product. :)
I have no idea if the product is any good or not but using a
network processor to do layer-7 stuff is not exactly rocket
science!

I think Kelly Higgins is interviewing me next week. I'll make sure to
drag this article up as a topic. :)

mjr.
--
* not a marketing buzz word