Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dark Reading: Firewalls Ready for Evolutionary Shift

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:17:45 -0500

I notice that Nir Zuk is a primary source for this article, as well.
It sounds like some P.R. agency has done a good job pimping* a certain
start-up that is getting > ready to "ramp"** a product. :) I have no idea if
the product is any good or not but using a
network processor to do layer-7 stuff is not exactly rocket science!

I don't mean to pick on Dark Reading or suggest that they have cornered the
market on interviewing shills, but any time you publish company press
releases as 'news'[1] you're under suspicion in my book.  (To be clear, I'm
calling Mr. Zuk a shill.)

Additionally, if you have this problem:

Then the user mistakenly checks a box that allows eMule to share its hard
drive. "That's very easy to do. Some eMule clients have that as a default,"
he says. "Now your user's entire computer has opened up your network to
share with the Internet. Anyone can execute a search and find files on your
network."

Buying a new firewall will not save you.  Taking away local admin rights
from your users, however, is a good start.  And there's nothing to buy.

PaulM

[1] http://www.darkreading.com/section.asp?section_id=297