Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dark Reading: Firewalls Ready for Evolutionary Shift

From: william fitzgerald <wfitzgerald () tssg org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:49:49 +0000

in realtion to this article, p2p apps (eg. emule) can and are blocked
(within reason!) using deep packet inspection and l7 approaches.

in using iptbales, the ipp2p plugin called http://www.ipp2p.org/ can be
used.

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
George Capehart wrote:
Some light reading for the weekend . . .  Thought it'd stir the pot a
bit more for the "Firewalls that generate new packets . . ." thread.  ;>

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=140121&f_src=drweekly

George, since when does "stirring the pot" consist of kicking a tiger
in the b*lls?? Because that was my immediate reaction on reading
that article!!! I started prowling my cage looking for something to
chomp!

"Next Generation firewalls"? Gosh, oh, golly - it sounds like what
they're calling "Next Generation firewalls" are kinda sorta like
"what firewalls were supposed to do all along."

I notice that Nir Zuk is a primary source for this article, as well.
It sounds like some P.R. agency has done a good job pimping*
a certain start-up that is getting ready to "ramp"** a product. :)
I have no idea if the product is any good or not but using a
network processor to do layer-7 stuff is not exactly rocket
science!

I think Kelly Higgins is interviewing me next week. I'll make sure to
drag this article up as a topic. :)

mjr.
--
* not a marketing buzz word
** a token marketing buzzword

- --
William M. Fitzgerald,
PhD Student,
Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,
ArcLabs Research and Innovation Centre,
Waterford Institute of Technology,
WIT West Campus,
Carriganore,