Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 02:11:00 -0800

I definately don't classify (2) as a DOS problem.  An application/operating
system that crashes because of a bug is presumably fixable.  Crashing
something because of bad data is just as likely to happen anyway, without
there needing to be some sort of special attack.

On a well configured network, (3) is going to be almost the same as (1),
so I don't believe there's any point in drawing a distinction.  The general
idea is that the target host is given more work than it can cope with and
thus fails to respond in a useful manner.

Darden, Patrick S. wrote:
I believe you are missing the point.  Three types of DOS

1.  bandwidth flood--several dos and most ddos, smurf,
stacheldraht, only way to protect against them is to
prevent them, only way to prevent them is if all networks
protect others from themselves.

2.  purposely (mal)shaped packets--teardrop, ping of death, etc.;
any good firewall prevents known examples.

3.  application shaped--e.g. sending a continuous stream of
connection packets to an apache web server, letting them time
out at 15 minutes, thus keeping others from connecting; etc.
Most security features provide *very limited* relief from this,
limiting the # of connections from the same sip, decreasing
tcp timeout from 15 mins to 30 seconds, etc.

Helpful?

--Patrick Darden