Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall bake-off?

From: "K K" <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:45:52 -0500

On 3/21/07, Jim MacLeod <jmacleod () gmail com> wrote:
On 3/20/07, Zachary Grafton <chaotic.chowder () gmail com> wrote:
Well, the greatest thing about the sidewinder is how easy it is to
configure things. It does have clustering and nice failover features,
which are in my opinion, extremely important. If you are worried about
performance with a Sidewinder, just buy another one and cluster them.

Does it support active-active load splitting?  Or do you need an
external load balancer for that?

The Sidewinder G2 does have active-active load-splitting, but many
customers (us included) choose to use an external load-balancer.

One reason we use an external load balancer appliance is because our
LB can do the one load-control approach missing from Sidewinder G2:
limit clients by bandwidth, session rate, and max simultaneous
sessions (Sidewinder has rate limiting only for IP-Filter, and no ToS
or bandwidth controls).

How destructive is the transition when one fails?
How extensive is the state sync?

Clusters share IP-filter state and configuration only, any proxied TCP
connections on the failed firewall will abend when a failover event
occurs.

Will it scale to n+1, or is it limited to 2 firewalls?

The web site states you can have 5 firewalls in a cluster.  I believe
they're working towards highly scalable load-sharing, but I don't know
what the current load-sharing options are.

Kevin  "Just a (mostly) happy customer" Kadow