Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why are developers choosing to...

From: mlh <mlh () zip com au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:31:36 +1100

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:34:05AM -0600, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

Why are developers choosing to write "web-based" code that runs some
sort of encryption, typically SSL, across a non-standard port (say
10443) and then having those URLs blow up when they try to traverse the
prudent company's perimeter security...You know..."deny all that is not
explicitly allowed."

I am seeing more and more "websites" that use a URL such as
http://register.at.my.site:10443. Why not just use the standard secure
port 443 from the get go?  Is there something that makes SSL across
10443 innately more secure, or is this just the "security by obscurity"
smoke-and-mirrors trick?

Hey, I thought the standard security guys whine was to
complain about dubious traffic being put over standard ports.
We should be happy if they get blocked by firewalls!

Back to the topic Certainly I've had cases of people asking for access to
some (in this case govt) website on an odd port, and I said
that they should just ask the server admin to use the standard ones.

Matt