Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why are developers choosing to...

From: Barney Wolff <barney () databus com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:53:19 -0500

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:31:36PM +1100, mlh wrote:

Back to the topic Certainly I've had cases of people asking for access to
some (in this case govt) website on an odd port, and I said
that they should just ask the server admin to use the standard ones.

If you are going to allow https traffic at all, since you cannot see
what is being communicated, what security advantage is achieved by
forbidding traffic to high ports?  I see none.

The situation is not symmetrical.  Forbidding inbound traffic except to
known valid cases is easy to justify.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I never met a computer I didn't like.