Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewallsthat are also scalable and modular. . .

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:31:06 +0530

On 07/04/06 16:52 -0700, David Lang wrote:
<snip>

5TB/day is a sustained 60MB/sec (1 1/2 DS-3's or so), given that you have
a lot of peaks it's reasonable to say that your peak traffic is 2-3x that
value. you are still talking about ~200Mb/sec of traffic.

Try 20-30x. 2MB is a _large_ email. I assume that the OP is already
optimising by recipient domain(s) and hosts with multi-recipient
messages. If the OP is lucky enough that the load can be distributed
evenly, that would be a fairly rare case.

Typical bulk mail traffic goes as one injection to a few thousand
recipients, and then it fans out. Your sending speed is typically
limited by the speed at which the remote host can accept mail, or by the
pipe between the two of you. However, with multiple parallel messages,
the choke is generally the network itself.

this is comfortably handled with a P-III intel platform (a Nokia 740
appliance is this amount of power)

Sun has a checkpoint appliance that is Opteron based (defaults to 1.4GHz
processors, you can upgrade it) for about $30K. this is a very moderate
box by today's standard, but would handle the type of bandwidth
requirements you are talking about trivially

We have multiple OC's coming in, bandwidth isn't the immediate worry, it's
throughput. . .

again I need to ask for definitions. the best overall throughput is
generally achieved by spreading the load evenly and running things at max
capacity all the time. bandwidth requirements better represent your peak
requirements, but I think what you are looking for is responsivness (or
low latency). Even with that you should keep in mind that Internet use

For mail delivery, the issue is throughput. Latencies are generally
counted in minutes (or hours). Think B52 full of DVDs.

Devdas Bhagat